I am impressed with Blake's background (he has been described as a serial entrepreneur - how cool!) and his tenacity (figuring out how to make shoes in another country and then ship them to the US to market them, with no background in manufacturing, fashion, or anything else related to his mission at TOMS - that takes drive!). It just goes to show that if you have an idea and are willing to find the right people and ask them to help you, you can make any dream come true. At first, Blake just wanted to help kids, but this became so big that it's now his full time gig!
More than once I was brought to tears (read the story about Pam on page 49, and the section on Trust). Blake's parents obviously taught him to think with his heart AND his head, and to be guided by his soul. As a new parent, that's something I hope to teach my kids. The stories about his family also helped me remember how dear my family and friends are, and that they are truly my greatest treasures.
I've been inspired to take action! My sister and I have a small business where we re-purpose materials into something new and usable. We want to do more, so this holiday we are donating $1 for every purchase to Make a Wish Foundation. We hope to make a small difference now, and make this idea grow.
Want to read the book and be inspired?? Enter to win a FREE book, & a FREE SophiaFredricka item!!
How to enter the contest:
1. Visit our online shop
2. Post a comment to this post (below) with a suggestion for a NEW ITEM IDEA
3. The winner will receive a copy of "Start Something That Matters" AND the first edition of the item they suggested
Forward this to others who would like to read it and enter the contest!
See what others are saying about the book:
Helen's Book Blog
Wall Street Journal
SophiaFredricka "Start Something That Matters" contest rules:
- Comments must be posted to this blog post by midnight November 30th, Central Time.
- Winner will be chosen and notified by Friday December 2nd.
- Winner needs to respond with shipping address and whether they'd like their name shared by Sunday December 4th, 2011 or they forfeit the book and their item. A new winner will be selected.
- Winner needs to have a valid shipping address.
- Winner will be announced on the SophiaFredricka blog on Monday December 5th.
- Prize will be shipped via FedEx by December 12th, 2011 using standard shipping.
- All rights to the new ideas are reserved by Christa Haeg, Christa Bahr, LLC., and SophiaFredricka with no obligation to acknowledge or pay any type of fee to the contest Entrants or Winner.
- No cash value.
- Void where prohibited.
posted by Christa