Saturday, February 25, 2012

Drop Cloth Suit

I had the great pleasure of collaborating with fellow artist and friend Hugh O'Rourke on a super fun project. Hugh is a painter and sculptor here in NYC, you can view more of his work here. We met during my thesis art exhibit at NYU, as he works at the 80WSE gallery where I exhibited my installation.  He knew my passion for sewing clothing and asked me to collaborate with him in making a suit out of his drop cloths from his studio. The idea of the suit came from famous artist Joseph Beuys' own sculpture Felt Suit.


The most challenging and most creative part of making the suit was laying out the pattern pieces. I had to find interesting areas on the drop cloth to create an interesting pattern effect on the suit. I kept Hugh's own work in mind while selecting which paint glob to use for the lapel or where to use the glued on pieces of newspaper.


I liked imagining what pieces of Hugh's art made the drops, splatters, and smears of paint, glue, and mixed media on the drop cloths.

Spaces Between Studio Show courtesy of Hugh O'Rourke
In the end I think the suit turned out really great! I made the suit to Hugh's measurements but the piece is meant to be hung on the wall as pictured below. Hugh was very excited when I brought the finished suit to him, I cannot wait to see it in one of his gallery shows, or maybe a fun photo shot of him wearing it! This project helped remind me of my interest in the meaning of clothing and the emotional response humans can have to sentimental clothing. This suit is a portrait of a painter, a garment made of the leftovers in the art making process. Anyone need a garment made for them from their own scraps?


posted by Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I'd wear that. What did you use for lining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lining as it isn't meant for wearing, but I'd line a quilt suit for you!

      Delete
  2. Super suit, it reminds me also of an old studio shot of Steve Martin in a white suit covered in splatters, similar but different, I'm also a big Beuys fan and talking of talking of I also remember well the 'big suit' of Mr 'talking head' Byrne...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your awesome comments! I love how art can make everyone think of something different and personal.

      Delete
  3. I think I have seen this or something similar almost every year out of students since 1987. remember, whatever your going to do its been done so DO IT WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I buy one of these?!?! I LOVE IT!! Seriously want to own a drop cloth suit almost immediately (lined or unlined). Send me a link or email or ebay listing or order form please! Too amazing to pass up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest! This is a one of a kind custom piece of art for and by Hugh O'Rourke. If you would like to talk to me about a custom piece for yourself find my contact info at sarahbahr.com

      Delete